In the digital age, it is not unusual for game developers to create and promote slot machines that have what is called progressive jackpots. In the old times, this was not even remotely possible because the computers did not have the same computing power they have today.
A progressive jackpot slots game is a slot machine that has an accumulating pot. You will win this pot if you meet certain requirements, called the bonus requirements. These requirements vary from one another, and it is imperative that you know what they are.
In many games, there is also a pre-requisite. Usually, you have to wager the maximum bet before you even qualify. What this means is that you may hit the bonus requirement, but since you did not bet the maximum, you do not win anything.
How It Works
In a slot machine that has a progressive jackpot, there is a thing called jackpot meter. You will typically find this at the top of the playing screen.
Some things you must know are the following:
- The bonus amount increases in small proportions for every wager that players make.
- It will keep on rising until such time that somebody hits it.
- The cost of the player’s bet does not matter as far as the contribution is concerned.
- Whether you bet small or high, a part of your wager will contribute to the pooled prize.
Once the jackpot is hit, it resets back to a certain amount. Some will default to a beginning prize like $10,000, and some will re-start at a higher or lower amount. Over time, this will reach millions of dollars, to be given away to the lucky person who manages to land the winning combination.
Two Game Types
There are two types of progressive jackpots. The first one is stand-alone, and the second one is interlinked.
- Standalone – In a standalone, the only source of funds is the bets on that specific machine. You can find these in both online and land-based casinos, but mostly in land-based ones.
Since players tire or cannot play with an infinite amount of money, it is possible that someone who replaces you at your slot seat can win it.
- Interlinked – In an interlinked slot machine, many players are wagering on the slots simultaneously. And because there could be thousands of players betting at the same time, the possible win will also increase faster.
An interlinked machine is common in the online gambling community, but you can also find them in land-based casinos.
Common Ways to Win
As mentioned earlier, it is typical for game developers to require players to wager the maximum bet to even qualify for the bonus. However, a few operators do not require this. You can bet small, but you will not be awarded the entire progressive bonus amount. Instead, you will only get a proportion of it.
The most common way to win is by landing five same symbols on a pay line. This is usually a special symbol, and you need to land them in specific spots on the slot machine. Your odds of winning this in a 5X3 slot machine is usually less than 1%, but that 1% is what can make you an instant millionaire.
The other way to get a progressive jackpot is to enter a bonus round, which you need to win by also landing symbol combinations.
An example of this type is a wheel that you need to turn. If that wheel lands on the jackpot figure or symbol, you bag the jackpot.
Some games have several progressives going on at the same time. Most of the time, these are called mini, minor, major, and mega. The amounts vary, and you can take home any of them according to the game rules.
Most Popular Titles
Naturally, the most popular slots machines with progressive jackpots are those that have paid out people. A slot machine where a player won the progressive jackpot drives popularity because of the following reasons:
- Players will be drawn to it knowing that the jackpot is real.
- Players will think that because someone won, they can win, too, as opposed to machines that have not awarded any progressive win.
Here are a few that you can check out:
- Mega Moolah – a 5X3 slot machine that offers 25 play lines. Here, the jackpot depends on the Wheel of Fortune bonus round where you can win any of the four progressive amounts.
- Mega Fortune – with an RTP of 96%, this one operates on five reels and three rows. It has 25 pay lines, and it offers scatter pays, free spins, and wilds. It has three kinds of progressive jackpots, which you can access if you land three bonus symbols.
In the bonus round, the Wheel of Fortune, which has three circles, will spin and stop. It is this wheel that will decide if you win the jackpot or not.